The 9 Best Things About Buffalo
I was born and raised in Buffalo and I can truly say that I love everything about living here. We may not be giant like New York City, but in my eyes Buffalo is perfect in every single way. From the waterfront smelling like Cheerios to now housing the worlds largest 6 pack of Labatt Blue, how could you not be completely in love with this city? I am going to share some of the best things about Buffalo and why I am proud to say I am a Buffalonian. xoxo
- The food. While every city has their own special foods, Buffalo to me has the best. No matter where you go you will never find better chicken wings… seriously go and try to find ones better than Duff’s or Anchor Bar. There are so many locally owned restaurants with amazing food that you won’t find anywhere else. If I ever moved away, I would miss breakfast at Lake Effect Diner, lunch at Teds for a delicious hot dog, a midnight snack at Mighty Taco and you can’t forget about the Loganberry.
- It’s the perfect size. Our city isn’t an overwhelming size, which is the great part about it. You can get from the city to anywhere in a matter of 15-20 minutes (and that’s if you’re following the speed limit, which no one in Buffalo does anyways) I also love that you can go anywhere and run into someone you know, there is always a familiar face in the crowd no matter where you are.
- The cultural diversity is amazing. No matter if your Polish, Italian, Irish or any other nationality, there is always one day out of the year where the city turns into a huge celebration of that nationality. From Dyngus Day, Italian Fest, Greek Fest, Juneteenth Festival, the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and so many more fun traditions that happen in Buffalo.
- The sports. We may have the worst teams in the league, but we also have the most loyal fans. I mean what other fans say their football team is going to the Superbowl when in reality every year we end up at the bottom of the roster!? Our tailgates are legendary fully equipped with cookouts, lots of drinking and lots of harassing the other team. From the Bills, Sabres, Bandits and Bisons… “No one circles the wagon like Buffalo fans!”
- It’s bike friendly. Minus the fact that most people have cars, Buffalo is remarkably easy to get around on a bike. There are over 300 bicycle parking locations installed throughout the city and also through GO Bike Buffalo there are Safe Routes to School program that gives parents and children the resources to safely get to school on their bikes. If you’ve never been on a bike ride through Delaware Park and over near the Buffalo Zoo, then take time out of your day to do so soon.
- The architecture. Driving through the city you will see so many beautiful buildings, it is one of my favorite things about living here. City Hall is Buffalo’s second tallest skyline and my personal favorite due to the beautiful detail and also Niagara Square being in front. The HH Richardson complex is a mammoth red building at the edge of Buffalo State College and another remarkable building in the city. There is just always something to look at and be amazed by. From schools, churches to office buildings, they are all breath taking.
- Four season climate. Everyone may complain about the climate change in Buffalo but at least be thankful we don’t get tornado’s or hurricanes! No matter what season it is, there is always something to do so you’ll never be bored. Holiday Valley to ski or snowboard in the winter, Harbor Fest and Darien Lake during the summer for concerts, and so many more fun activities! Yes the cold does stink, but as Buffalo natives the snow doesn’t stop us from making the most of the winter!
- Abundant green spaces. Complementing the many buildings and roadways, Buffalo’s parks are easily accessible and beautiful to walk through. I love walking through Delaware Park on nice summer day, or near the Albright Knox Art Gallery. It is the perfect place to go walk your dog or take your kids to for an afternoon out.
- It’s on the up-and-up. The people who live here are passionate and are determined to keep the city growing and making it more beautiful. Growing efforts are already in motion to make this city a better place with movements such as Clean Air Coalition, Buffalo First, GO Bike Buffalo and the Silo City. Not to mention so many of the local business leaders who are collaborating to work towards a more sustainable economy.