- This is your daughters day to shine. Not yours! That doesn’t mean you can’t look fabulous, but remember to just dress age appropriate. You are playing a crucial role on the day, but your daughter is the star. Even if you dislike certain details, keep it to yourself! Remember: compliments and smiles.
- It is inappropriate to wear white. Mothers of the bride, do not even think about wearing a color in/near/around the whites on your daughter’s special day. She is the princess in white and no one should be close to her wedding gown color on the day.
- The Bride and Groom are running the show. Some mothers tend to be a little controlling and/or overbearing but on the wedding day, mothers need to know who are in charge. The bride and groom are the gatekeepers of all final decisions leading up to the wedding and throughout the day. Unless you have been asked to run something, stay out of the way.
- Learn how to pick and choose your battles wisely. Some traditions are nearer and dearer to your heart than your daughters. So if there is something you must see or do on the wedding day, pick ONE that is a must. It will be seen with more importance and your daughter can’t say no to your one request, right? Just like the bride has to pick and choose her battles, so should you.
- Get to know the in-laws. This is your daughter’s new family and in this day and age, the mother of the groom may be just as involved as the bride’s mother (or would like to be) when it comes to planning the big day. Especially when budgets are getting split. Brides, make sure both mother’s feel included! How about a launch date for the ladies to discuss the wedding details?
- Be supportive, no matter what. Even if your daughter is turning into bridezilla (which they sometimes do), mothers need to stay poised, calm, and collected. It is your job to be the pillar of stability during this crazy time and your daughter will want someone who can both help them make the big decisions and keep their cool when things go crazy. We can’t promise it will be easy, but please try for the bride!
- Offer to help, but only what you are truly willing to do. You should only offer what you WANT and CAN do. If you have a full-time job, maybe volunteering to meet with florists mid-week is a bad idea. Maybe if you have a special talent in table decorations or paper goods, offer to lend a hand there. Don’t offer your help on items that you have no interest in! And certainly don’t fill your schedule with more than you can handle. We know you want to be involved, just do it wisely.
- Be open about the guest list. We know tradition states that mom and dad are hosting the party (i.e paying for it) and therefore, the guest list should be decided by them. Not anymore. For this generation, the bride and groom are normally the ones in control of the almighty guest list.
- Offer your wedding gown, but don’t force it. We know you may have been saving your wedding dress for your daughter, but styles and fashions have evolved. You should definitely make the offer, but please don’t be offended if the bride says no. Maybe offer the veil? Or perhaps a piece of the dress can be used, like the lace? Seamstresses and tailors can do wonders with old dresses. Be open-minded!
- Discuss wedding outfits with the mother of the groom. This may seem trivial, but having the mothers coordinate is a wonderful bonding experience. Plus, it is tradition to share your look for the wedding. Also, as the head of matrons, your look will set the tone for the wedding!
Quinceanera, or ”Sweet 15”, parties are a tradition in the Latin American culture. They symbolizes a young girl becoming a woman, and a huge celebration is held in honor of her 15th birthday birthday. The parties are over the top and extravagant, and so is the attire! The girl celebrating her Quinceanera gets to wear a lavish, full gown, vibrant in different colors and patterns. The possibilities are endless when it comes to the gowns. Though, it is very hard to find a shop that carries such outrageous gowns due to their size. Here at TT New York we have a wide selection of Quinceanera gowns!
Quinceanera dresses are very unique in their own way. Some of the gowns have separate pieces and you can wear the corset top apart from the skirt! Others have shorter skirts on top so you can transform the big poofy gown into a shorter cocktail style later on. The opportunities are endless when it comes to Quineanera gowns! If you want to look amazing on your special night, then make sure to stop into TT New York and check out our selection! xoxo
Summer is finally here and that means plenty of formal gatherings taking place! Between weddings, graduations, birthday parties and family reunions, you will somehow find yourself in need of a dress! Stop in and check out our selection at the Walden Galleria and Boulevard Mall locations! TT New York has everything you need! Below are a few of my favorites that we just got in! xoxo.
Mother of the Bride:
Gala/Black Tie Event:
Summer is quickly approaching (or maybe that’s what I keep telling myself). The thing I love most about summer, the fashion. There is nothing better than being able to walk around in shorts or a nice cocktail dress for an entire day and not get cold. I am going to dedicate this blog to some of my favorite summer fashions and maybe inspire you to branch out your own summer style!
High Waisted Shorts: A trend that has just recently made a comeback and is sweeping the nation! You can practically find them in every single store, and everyone love them. I love tucking a comfortable sweater into mine with a trendy belt, that way you are comfortable and warm at the same time. You can find them in any color, pattern and material. Feel like having a craft day? Find an old pair of high-waisted Levi’s at a thrift shop and cut them into shorts. Bleach them or add studs onto the back to turn them into a completely new pair of shorts!
Maxi Skirts/Dresses: If you love wearing dresses and skirts then I recommend trying maxi skirts or dresses. They are the most comfortable things in the world and appropriate for any occasion. You can dress up a maxi dress and wear it to either work or even a wedding! Maxi skirts are the perfect summer outfit if you want to be comfortable and fashionable. Pattered maxi skirts are extremely popular and they can be matched with anything! Pair the skirt with a plain tank top and a gold/silver belt and you are set to go! Once you start buying maxi skirts/dresses, you won’t be able to stop.
Gladiator Sandals: Gladiator sandals have grown extremely popular over the past two summers and they are everywhere. From sandals to heels or wedges, you can find any type of shoe is the gladiator style. They are a fun trendy shoe that you can pair with a short plain cocktail dress to shorts and a fun top. They are not only super fashionable, but most of them are extremely comfortable! You can find pairs that go all the way up to your knee or ones that stop right at your ankle. Either way, they are a trend that I don’t see to be fading anytime soon.
Big Floppy Hats: No matter if your pool side getting a nice tan or if you are attending an outdoor event, hats are always a must have. My favorite are the big floppy ones because they complete an entire outfit! They are perfect for walking around the town or watching a show at the park, etc. Not to mention they are ideal if you are having a bad hair day! Match it with a simple dress for an elegant look, or just wear one to keep the sun out of your eyes while you’re spending the day on a boat! They come in so many different sizes, textures and colors that they are the perfect accessory to throw on last minute.
Bright Colored Accessories: When I am going to a black tie event, I love pairing my simple black dress with neon heels or a bright colored purse. Adding a pop of color to a full black outfit really pulls the entire look together. You aren’t just focusing on one specific item, you are looking at the outfit as a whole! Match the purse or shoes with a chunky necklace in the same color to really add more color. You can even add some color to an everyday outfit! I love throwing a bright colored necklace with my white blazer when I am in the office. There are endless possibilities and you can always mix and match!
Now that we are in the heart of prom season, I thought I would talk about all the different types of prom dress styles! Every female has a different body type and there is that perfect dress out there for everyone, you just need to know what to look for! From my experience, the best advise I can give girls while they are prom dress shopping is that you have to try everything on. Dresses look a lot different on than when hanging on a hanger, so don’t be scared to try on different styles. Once you find that perfect dress you’ll know! (All of the dresses pictured are in stock at both TT New York locations- at the Walden Galleria and Boulevard Mall!!)
Sweetheart Neckline: Sweetheart is the most common neckline. It is perfect for every chest size and can be paired with any skirt type. From mermaid, to a-line; the sweetheart neckline looks amazing with anything. If you are bigger chested but love the sweetheart style, try adding spaghetti straps for a little extra support. Even a one-shoulder strap can make a whole lot of difference in giving you the support you need all night long.
Halter Strap: Halter straps usually go up and clasp behind your neck but sometimes can hook at your shoulders for an open back look. If you require more support in the bust then a halter strap is the best style for you! Some girls don’t like the idea of having to pull up their dress all night long but hate the idea of wearing straps, so this is a perfect happy medium! You get both the comfortable feeling and the look is always elegant and beautiful.
Drop Waist/Mermaid: If you want to show off your natural hour glass shape, then mermaid and drop waist are the perfect look. Most girls think that you need to be a size 02 to look good in mermaid styles, but in reality the more curves you have, the better mermaid dresses look on you! Mermaid and drop waist dresses cinch in at your waist and show off your natural figure. If you think mermaid dresses are too hard to walk in, then try the drop waist! Drop waist dresses only hit you at about the hips and flow out from there. (for example, the red dress in the middle is a drop waist, the two other dresses are mermaid) Both looks are elegant and truly define your natural curves!
Empire Waist: If you want to find a prom dress that flows without hugging your body, then empire waist is the style you want to be looking for. Empire waist dresses are tight around the bust and can either be strapless or with straps, and they flow away from your body. Most girls feel more comfortable in the empire waist styles, because they are both flowy and comfortable.
V-Neckline: The v-neckline is another very common look. For girls who once again who need some support on the top, this look will keep you comfortable while still giving you that elegant look. Most of the dresses have thicker straps so you can easily wear a bra with it for extra support. Some styles do have a deeper v-cut, but most stop right before the bust. You can also find styles that have the v-neckline with open backs too!!
Every woman is guilty of purchasing items that are “spur of the moment” buys that will probably never end up being worn. There will always be those designer shoes or designer bag that you just “have to have” but ask yourself, is it really worth it? Or are you going to be regretting spending a whole weeks paycheck on something you may never wear. Well I am going to give you my tips on how to avoid buyers remorse and to ensure you get your dream pieces without completely emptying your pockets.
- Take Inventory: Firstly, take a good look at your closet. What’s hanging front and center? These are probably the everyday things you wear the most, which means you have a good stock. (Translation: you don’t need another one) Your plan of attack: Pull out the 10 things you wear the most (shoes and bags included) and examine them. Is your favorite blouse getting yellowed under the arm pit? Then maybe it’s time to replace it. Are your skinny jeans finally broken in and you wish you could wear them everyday? Then you don’t need another pair! Keep this going for all 10 items, which will provide you with a basis from which to decide what you really need this season.
- Look for promotions and sales: If you know you are in the market for a new pair of shoes or say maybe even a dress for a special occasion coming up, think about when would be a good time to start shopping based off of when certain stores have their biggest blow out sales. Besides Black Friday, stores will also hold blow out sales usually at the end of every season , President’s Day, right around Easter, Christmas time, and so on. Your plan of attack: Stock up on coupons that don’t have an expiration dates so you can use them when you actually have an occasion to shop for. There isn’t anything more satisfying then saving money!
- Splurge on the important things: Say you are planning a wedding and you want that really beautiful yet expensive wedding gown, or you are going on a trip in the summer and you need a brand new wardrobe, well then its time to save your money. If you don’t waste your money by buying small unnecessary items, you will be able to splurge on the important things when the time comes. Your plan of attack: If you know you are going to need brand new shorts for summer, don’t buy 2 pairs of flip flops that are exactly the same but in different colors. Buy one pair and save your money to use towards needed items. If you have prom coming up at the end of the school year, stop spending your money on nick-knacks and make yourself a savings jar so you can get that special dress you dreamed of.
So next time you are thinking about taking a trip to the mall, follow these tips to not only ensure you can get exactly what you want at an affordable cost without spending money on unnecessary things! Once you become a smart shopper, you will not only see in increase in your bank account, but also in your closet! Xoxo
Join me this Saturday, March 8th from 12-4pm for a fun filled shopping day at our Walden Galleria store! 2 Day FM, Niagara’s Hottest Radio Station, will be playing all of the latest songs while you shop around for that perfect dress! No matter what occasion you are shopping for, TT New York is the one stop shop! We have cocktail, evening gowns, mother of the bride/groom, bridesmaids, and of course prom!
This week received a brand new shipment of short dresses that are perfect for prom or grade 8 graduation! We also got brand new jewelry and purses to match every dress in our store! Who doesn’t love walking into a store and being able to purchase everything in one stop?! Don’t forget about our event tracking, we track every dress sold so you are the only one in your dress at your school!
Tune into 2 Day FM 105.1 to hear more about our event this Saturday!! Don’t miss out!! We are located on the lower level of Walden Galleria directly across from JCPenney next to Charlotte Russe and PacSun. Follow the music to our front doors and come shop with us!
I am very excited to announce that we recently opened a new location in Walden Galleria Mall!! We carry dresses there for every occasion from prom, homecoming and sweet 16’s to bridesmaids, mother of the bride/groom, black tie, and wedding dresses!! With this being the heart of our prom season, we are constantly getting in brand new shipment . The great thing about shopping with TT New York is that we are very flexible. We offer a 30 day layaway plan where you can make weekly payments on your dress! Also, you don’t have to worry about the hassle of sample sizes! We have a full size range in all of our dresses from sizes 0-28 that you can buy right off the rack! And who could forget about our event tracking? We will track your dress for any occasion you are attending from galas, proms, banquets and other events!! And lets face it, no one wants to show up to an event wearing the same dress as someone else. TT New York will make sure to not only make you look amazing on your special day, but also assure you that you will be the only one in your gown.
I’ve been to the store a couple of times since we have opened and I love everything about being in that mall. It is in a prime location right across from JC Penney’s on the lower level. We are also right in front of the Verizon kiosk and in-between Charlotte Russe and PacSun! Walden Galleria is such an amazing mall with not only the best stores to shop at, but also the best restaurants. You can truly spend hours at this mall and never get bored. Not to mention the new go-cart track they have upstairs near the food court!! You get shopping, dining and entertainment all in one location! They have flat screen tv’s in front of the Microsoft store that you can play live games!! I definitely recommend visiting Walden Galleria to not only get your shopping done, but to experience a lot of different things. You will never want to shop at another mall again!!
I love to accessorize my everyday outfits with a bunch of different things from jewelry to handbags and so much more! You can get so many uses out of them and most are inexpensive! When it comes to birthdays and special occasions, buying accessories is always the safe and easy way to go. I am going to name a few of my favorite accessories that I both own and use as gifts for my friends and family!
Alex and Ani is a new company that makes bracelets out of items that are manufactures in America. The materials utilized are sustainable and derived from an eco-friendly processes. Their collections are made up of powerful, meaningful pieces that are crafted entirely in the United States. The bracelets come in either silver or gold and each hold a single charm. The charms can be anything from a birthstone to words, saints, symbols, or animals. They also have sports teams, hometowns, and even initials so you can have a arm full of meaningful and memorable things. For example, my family is Irish so for Christmas my grandparents bought each of my 12 cousins the Celtic Knot Alex and Ani bracelet. It is nice to have something meaningful that you can look at everyday! They are not only inexpensive, but the perfect little gift for any occasion.
Infinity Scarfs are just like normal scarfs only they are a complete circle. I always double wrap mine around my neck to keep them tighter, but you can wear them multiple ways. You can pair them with any outfit and they come in all different types of materials, colors and designs. I am OBSESSED with the knitted ones because they keep you warm while your out driving around but are also comfortable enough to wear indoors. There are also thinner ones with different patters and colors that can make a regular outfit more trendy!! You can buy them practically anywhere and they are the perfect gift for anyone.
Knuckle Rings are a new trend that is extremely popular. They rest on your knuckles and can come in different colors and designs. They are a fun and different twist on the normal rings you would wear everyday. Pair them with rings you already have or just wear them solo!! You can usually find a pack of them with a couple different sizes together. My favorite ones are the plain silver bands (like in the first picture) they are so simple yet unique.
Statement Necklaces are something that you can pair to any outfit to either dress it up or make it original. I love to pair a bright colored one with a black blazer for work. Wear a strapless simple black dress and a gorgeous chunky necklace and matching colored heels to look like you just walked off the runway. You can turn a casual look into something more formal with as simple as a beautiful necklace and funky heels. You can find some amazing ones at antique shops or some local stores!
Valentine’s Day is only two weeks away so it is time to start planning your romantic day. From romantic dinners to a quite night in, you should make the evening memorable. I will give you a check list to help you get the perfect Valentine’s Day outfit together! Happy Valentine’s Day to all you love birds out there xoxo.
Dresses– Make sure you look the part! TT New York has a wide selection of cocktail dresses that are perfect for a fancy dinner or night on the town . From casual to fancy, you will look gorgeous in one of our dresses. With sizes from 0-30, we can guarantee you’ll find something you not only love but can wear again! Cocktail dresses start from $99.99 and go up. (Sign up for our email list on our website to receive weekly discounts!!)
Nail Styles- Pair your dress with some cute holiday nails. From the classic white tips with a small heart design, to pink nails with a little sparkle. It is not only nice to pamper yourself, but when you look your best, you feel your best. Spend a day at the spa to get all dolled up and look amazing for your significant other! (Check out my how-to blog on DIY nail designs!)
Hair Styles- Sexy and simple hair styles that tie the whole entire outfit together. If your dress is more simple, do some tight ringlet curls and maybe a bow to add a little detail. To add a different touch, attempt a waterfall braid (far left picture) to make curls a little different. Take a sparkly headband and tuck hair into the headband to create a nice bob if you wanted a look to keep you hair back. If your hair is naturally curly, try straightening it and french braid your bangs. There are so many different options to do with your hair! (Check out my how-to do easy hair styles blog for tips and ideas!)
Accessories- Accessories are my best friend, so always accessorize an outfit! Since it can still be cold in February, a fur wrap is a good add on to your attire, especially if you are going out for a fancy dinner. If you’re wearing a simple dress out to dinner, try pairing it with some tights to keep you warm. Add on your favorite jewelry, grab a clutch and some pumps from your closet and you will be warm and look like a million bucks.